Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Package Design Final Product

Puff Snacks

hKp://www.cutepuppiesforsale.net/wp-.‐content/uploads/2010/05/
Pomeranian-.‐Puppies-.‐For-.‐Sale-.‐1.jpg

My initial exploration for this project began with my inspiration. Pomeranians were my inspiration. They're sweet and playful dogs, but they're also quite dainty lap dogs. They really look like a privileged type of dog that gets treated almost like a human baby, totally spoiled. So I wanted to create a package that had a bright and playful appearance, but also a girly, sophisticated look. 

Next I started to sketch potential ides. 


I sketched some different text ideas and started thinking about what kind of pattern or lace design I might want to put on the box.


I sketched some ideas for the back of the box. I figured that I would put other flavors that you could buy the product in on the back to limit the amount of text on the package. 


These were sketches for the front and sides of the box. I wanted to put a founder's story on one side, and nutrition facts and ingredients on the other side.

At this point I knew what theme I was going for and had a general idea of what the package would look like. I still needed to finalize some elements and their placements.

I had a previous post about my research (http://3463-beam.blogspot.com/2013/12/research-on-dog-treat-packaging.html) but here are a couple more images of packages that I researched. These are backs of packages that I used to help me figure out what information I needed to put on my box. However, I didn't really like the amount of text on them and wanted to limit it a bit.



hKp://images.iherb.com/l/ZUK-.‐21052-.‐1.jpg


hKp://www.partsreadyonline.com/images/
PurinaOneAdultDogFood4back.jpg

I knew that I wanted to draw a dog to put on the packaging so I also did some research for inspiration on dog illustrations. I decided that I liked a sort of vintage look and I found these images that are vintage inspired- although my final pomeranian drawing doesn't actually look too vintage.

hKp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-.‐0O7ZmnmJBs/T4rHvkQJMRI/AAAAAAAAEpQ/
p2FFWkPUoFU/s1600/free%2Bdigital%2Bstamp_dog%2BillustraBon
%2Bclipart.jpg


hKp://vintageillustraBons.org/hash/bigthumbs/d/8/1/e/d81e-.‐vector-.‐vintage-.‐ l1u.jpg


Process

My process began with lace. I found a lace vector for free on the internet and really liked it. So I downloaded it and changed the color from black to white. This is the website I found the lace vector on- hKp://www.vectors4all.net/vectors/grace-.‐lace-.‐
paKern-.‐vector-.‐material.


Then I decided on a bright blue color (which I later changed to a blue teal). 


Then I started drawing my little pomeranian. I used blob brush for all of it and used one of the vintage inspired dog illustrations as inspiration.


Then I looked at some different lace placements and tried to decide which to use. 



This was the original drawing of the pomeranian that I did. 


Then I tried to decide on placement. I thought that the pom looked a bit like a floating head though, so I then went back and illustrated the body. I wrote Puff Snacks with blob brush in pink and added a black stroke. I decided that the lace looked best around the top because I wanted to wrap it all the way around the package. I added the purina logo from brandsoftheworld.com. 


"Puff Snacks for Privileged Pomeranians" So much fancy alliteration. I had to measure around the box I was going to use (a Triscuit's box) and stretch the lace accordingly so it would fit all the way around the box and match up perfectly. 


I then illustrated some fancy looking grilled chicken (all with blob brush) to go on the front to indicate the flavor of the puff snacks. This was my reference image. I illustrated it in a sketchy, playful manner to match the fluffy cute illustration of the dog. 


And I added it to the front! At this point I had also added the net wt, and some more info. The font of "for privileged pomeranians" is called pea denise and it's from the website http://kevinandamanda.com/fonts/fontsforpeas/pea-denise/. The font of "perfect treats for pick eaters" and "grilled chicken puffs"is Book Antiqua, and the font of the net wt. is Myriad Pro. 


I then started working on the back. I placed the lace, pasted on the same puff snacks logo I had created, in a smaller size (I scaled it) and brought over the purina logo. I also added a bar code which I got here- hKp://blog.lightninglabels.com/images/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/22/upca_2.jpg.


Then I started the sides of the box. I created my own nutrition label, referencing packages I had looked at.


I got a "made in the usa" stamp from brandsoftheworld.com and downloaded it. 


Added the Made in the USA, plus a list of ingredients and feeding instructions to make it look official. The font is Myriad Pro.


Then I started illustrating more flavors for the back of the box. I used blob brush for these too- it's my go to tool. Pomeranians actually really like vegetables and liver!

hKp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-.‐XpqXToBPhuA/
UUd8ipyyCSI/AAAAAAAADIA/jGcaJC_UnYc/
s1600/DSC_0107.JPG

hKp://www.deliciousfood4u.com/wp-.‐content/uploads/2012/10/liver.jpg

I added some more text, the two illustrations, and the distribution info.


Then I converted all my text into vector art. Here's proof that it's all outlined vector art!



I also completed the other side of the box, with a live traced image of a pomeranian (which is the same one posted at the top of this blog post) and a founder's story written in Book Antiqua and Pea Denise fonts. I used pathfinder and crop to crop the image to a circle. I used blob brush to put my signature. 


Then I made the top of the box with the logo, purina logo, and the flavor in Book Antiqua. 


Package Construction was quick and a little messy so I didn't get any process shots. I used spray adhesive to glue all the images that I had printed and cut out, to a Triscuit's box. I put some cookies inside the box to give it a real-feeling weight and noise when you shook it. 

Here's what the final product looks like in real life, on a shelf. 














No comments:

Post a Comment